Friday, April 27, 2007

Japan PM-BUSH will discuss ABDUCTION film

Prime Minister Abe to discuss ABDUCTION film with President Bush

For Immediate Release

Washington, DC Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is expected to discuss the film “ABDUCTION The Megumi Yokota Story” with President Bush as a way of talking about the abduction of Japanese citizens by North Korea, according to official sources. Mr. Abe is making his first visit to Washington, DC as Prime Minister today and tomorrow.
An official with the Japanese Foreign Ministry, who declined to be named, confirmed to Safari Media, the production company that made “ABDUCTION”, that Mr. Abe plans to discuss the film with the President. Mr. Bush was given a copy of the film in January and recently wrote in a letter to an official that gave it to him that “Laura and I look forward to watching it.” There has been no official confirmation from the White House whether or not he has watched the documentary. Ambassador Thomas Schieffer, the US Ambassador in Tokyo, a close friend of the President, saw the film during a private screening last summer.
“ABDUCTION The Megumi Yokota Story” is a 85-minute documentary that details the kidnapping of a 13-year-old Japanese girl by North Korean agents. The film’s won numerous awards and been shown in at least 10 different countries including the United States. The film’s directors, Chris Sheridan and Patty Kim, will meet with Prime Minister Abe and his wife, Mrs. Akie Abe, on Friday afternoon in a private session at the residence of Japanese Ambassador Ryozo Kato.

For more info, contact
For a copy of the President’s letter, visit the film’s blog at

Sunday, April 15, 2007


The latest figures are in from Japan and "ABDUCTION The Megumi Yokota Story" has now attracted nearly 120,000 people! A smash success, by any standards! The film's lasted 22 weeks in theaters and still going!

Tuesday, April 10, 2007


Hi again...we often get asked at Q&As how Megumi's parents are doing now. We have said many times that they're still campaigning even though their health continues to decline. Here is more proof that they need a rest. Megumi's Dad is stepping down as head of the families' group. It doesn't mean he's not going to participate anymore but it does indicate that the job is a tough one.


Shigeru Yokota, father of well-known abductee Megumi, has decided to resign as head of a group of families whose relatives were abducted by North Korean agents.
Yokota, 74, is set to announce his decision at the group's general meeting in late April.
"My physical condition is not good. I think it's too hard for me to stay as head of the group, which has to handle many things," said Yokota. "I don't think it's good for me to continually stay as head of the group."
Yokota's 71-year-old wife, Sakie, said now is the time for him to resign.
Yokota has long been energetically asking the public to help solve the abduction issue.
He will continue to remain as a member of the group. (Mainichi)

Monday, April 09, 2007


One of the people in our film, Mr. Teruaki Masumoto, was in Romania last week meeting with the family of a woman who is believed to have been kidnapped by North Korea in 1978. This is a new development since the Romanians are now starting to take an interest in the possibility that their citizens were kidnapped as well. For those of you who speak Japanese, check out this news report on his visit.

For all others, here's a Kyodo News item on the visit:

Relative of Japan abductee meets kin of suspected Romanian abductee

(Kyodo) _ A relative of a Japanese national abducted by North Korean agents met in Romania on Thursday family members of a Romanian woman suspected of being another victim of North Korean abductions.
Teruaki Masumoto, secretary general of a group of relatives of Japanese abductees, and a supporter of the group met the mother and younger brother of Doina Bumbea, who went missing in Rome in 1978.

At the meeting in Craiova in southern Romania, Masumoto said, "Let's fight together to return all the victims," while Bumbea's brother Gabriel responded, "I would like to use all my might to get a resolution."

Tsutomu Nishioka, deputy representative of a group supporting the abductees' relatives, invited the Romanian family to join a gathering in Japan to be held later in the month aimed at rescuing the abductees. Gabriel said he would like to go.

Repatriated Japanese abductee Hitomi Soga, 47, and her American husband Charles Jenkins, 67, have said that they met a woman who called herself "Doina" when they were in Pyongyang and that she died from a disease in 1997.

A Romanian newspaper said last month she was abducted to North Korea, based on statements by her brother and others.

Bumbea's mother Petra, 77, wiped her tears when she heard from Nishioka that Soga told him that the woman called Doina was good at cooking and sewing.

Masumoto, whose elder sister Rumiko was abducted by North Korea in 1978, is also planning to call for a resolution of the abduction issue at the Romanian Foreign Ministry in Bucharest on Friday.

Rumiko was among the 13 Japanese North Korea admitted in 2002 to abducting in the late 1970s and early 1980s. She is also among the eight claimed by North Korea to have already died -- a claim rejected by their families and the Japanese government.

Soga was among the other five repatriated in 2002. In North Korea, she married Jenkins, who deserted from the U.S. military and crossed the border from South to North Korea during the Cold War.