Sunday, March 25, 2007

ISRAEL/BBC AIRING



Cinematheque - Tel Aviv, Israel


Hi all,

Back from Israel last week where we showed the film for the first time there. We were lucky enough to be invited by the good folks at Docaviv, Israel's most important documentary film festival. Saw some fantastic documentaries, met some wonderful filmmakers from all over and enjoyed being in the complex and interesting world of Israel. Attended a reception at the Japanese Embassy in Tel Aviv where we were told that the Israelis are starting to get on the sushi bandwagon. Apparently, it's becoming more and more popular. We were lucky enough to be treated to some real Japanese-style sushi thanks to Ambassador Yoshinori Katori and his staff. We showed the film twice while were at Docaviv and were interested to hear how sensitive the issue of political kidnappings are to many people in Israel. Many compared "ABDUCTION The Megumi Yokota Story" to the kidnappings of Israeli soldiers in Lebanon and elsewhere...one of the reasons for last summer's conflict. The film will get its Israeli TV debut on April 8 and 13th at 10pm on the YES satellite network.
Of course, the film finally aired on the BBC for the first time last week. Great press beforehand, including a "pick of the week" in THE GUARDIAN newspaper's TV guide. THE INDEPENDENT and THE SUNDAY TELEGRAPH both had excellent articles even if they did give away the entire story! Oh well...
Following the airing on the BBC we got some great comments from people which I've posted below. It appears Megumi's family has touched people in the United Kingdom the same way it has everywhere else.


Comments from BBC viewers...


"Abduction" really blew me away, what a story, heart breaking. Watched it last night and I was amazed that this really exists. The parents of Megumi are unbelievable, well done to you both, your work rate and persistent badgering of the authorities is commendable. I believe Megumi is alive and has a family in Nth Korea, the family connection is why the Nth Korean Govmnt won't release her. Sad but uplifting at the same time, fantastic documentary, lets hope Megumi makes it back, soon."

---------------------------------------------------------

Dear Chris & Patty,

I would firstly like to congratulate you both on the making of the film Abduction - it's a pure materpiece!

I watched the film Abduction on BBC4 last night at home,I just came across it by chance while I was changing channels. I felt compelled to Google Megumi as soon I got to my desk in work this morning as I have never in my life watched such a heart wrenching film.

My name is Ashling and I am from Dublin Ireland . My mother's twin sister went missing while on a working holiday in Africa 24yrs ago this year, she was my age 33yrs old. To this day her body and her boyfriend’s body have never been found. So watching this film was very close to my family’s heart.

Megumi parents are such amazing strong people and I admire them so much for the way they will never give up the hope of finding her some day.

I said a prayer for them last night and will continue to keep them in my prayers.

Many thanks & best regards,

Ashling

xxxx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just caught the last twenty minutes of your film Abduction. I wish I
had seen all of it. A wonderful job on a heartrending story. I loved the
track of music at the very end. Please will you tell me what it is? Thank
you.
Sue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I watched this poignant but brilliant documentary on
BBC4 last night.

Ratiel

----------------------------------------------

That was pretty awesome.

adam

----------------------------------------------------------

As an English Social Democrat, I see it only natural for me to support the tiny Social Democratic Party of Japan, but after reading that they support Kim Jong-il implicitly and STILL DENY the fact that the North Koreans snatched these poor kids off the street in the first place, I will be kinda leaning to Minshuto (the moderate Democratic Party of Japan) in the future when it comes to international political solidarity. A great documentary.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Abduction" really blew me away, what a story, heart breaking. Watched it last night and I was amazed that this really exists. The parents of Megumi are unbelievable, well done to you both, your work rate and persistent badgering of the authorities is commendable. I believe Megumi is alive and has a family in Nth Korea, the family connection is why the Nth Korean Govmnt won't release her. Sad but uplifting at the same time, fantastic documentary, lets hope Megumi makes it back, soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home